
Here's our annual Mother's Day picture, with 3.95 children all ready for church. I feel so blessed and honored to be their mother, although a bit overwhelmed at times. It is probably a good thing that they don't know how often I feel like I don't really know what I am doing! I have discovered that most of my fellow moms feel the same way. Just as soon as you get one stage about figured out, you hit another one. I need much wisdom, on a daily basis... and how I honor my own mother for her years "in the trenches" and all that she poured into my life when I had no clue how much she was actually doing for me.
I have discovered that a sense of humor is a great way to deal with some of the everyday crises that mothers face in caring for their offspring. And since I like "you might be" lists, I have collected my own. Some of these I e mailed to my friends, and some are their contributions.
You Might Be a Mother...
...if you know that a band-aid and a kiss are better than a doctor most days.
...if you don't flinch when your child uses his shirttail for lack of a tissue.
...if you can meditate in the same room as a toddler with a xylophone.
...if you can enjoy reading "The Biggest Bear" for the twentieth time.
...if you can see the eternal value of wiping things all day long.
...if you have little teeth marks on your chap stick.
...if you plunge things deep down under other stuff in the trash can to keep them from being rescued.
...if you absentmindedly eat the food you just scraped off your baby's mouth with the spoon, and hope nobody else at fellowship meal noticed.
...if you can keep a straight face and sympathize with a child's distress at not being able to get his buttons into their cracks.
...if you consider it all in a day's work when there is panic in the bathtub.
...if you feel vaguely hungry at 3:00 P.M. and realize that you fed everyone but yourself at lunchtime.
...when you scrape the syrup off your child's plate onto your French toast because you can't stand seeing it go to waste. contributed by Ellen Stoltzfus
...when you can recover after seeing your child dip a spoonful of toilet water to drink. E.S.
...if you have dandelion and chickweed bouquets for a centerpiece on your table. contributed by Wilma Schlabach, one of the most joyful mothers ever, who went to be with Jesus 6 mo. ago
...if you carry stuff in your purse like bits of colored paper and strands of doll hair. W.S.
...if you hardly ever go to the bathroom without someone knocking on the door and wondering if you are in there. W.S.
and lastly,
Blessings to all the other ladies out there who have encouraged me in my career! If you think of more good "you might be's..." leave them in the comments! Go ahead, make my day!

Yesterday Bro. Mannie said that being a mother is the greatest mission field there is. I thought maybe I should make some prayer cards like missionaires do that are going to foreign fields and hand them out! :) I sure feel like I could use the prayers lots of times. Blessings to you and your mothering today! I enjoyed that list! Betty Ann
ReplyDeleteYou might be a mother...
ReplyDeleteIf you allow kittens outside your front door, on your back deck, in your house... because your children have hours of fun playing with them. (And, did I mention a lively puppy too? )
I like it Dort.....You have a way of posting just what I need at the right time. I came to town by myself today, just feeling like I have to be by myself or I will lose my sanity! I just don't know how to be a good mom right now... I know... I only have two... how do some people do it... on the other hand I do love being a mom too... just need lots of wisdom!:) love you and miss you!
ReplyDeleteHi Dorcas,
ReplyDeleteI found your blog a while back and enjoy seeing your smiling face and sweet children.
I used to come around to Bedford at times when I was a teenager... I thought you were nice then and it looks like your being a great Mom now.
Linda
Well said, Dorcas. I think my contribution would go something like this: "If you can do the same mundane and sometimes yucky tasks a thousand times over and still think you have the greatest and most fulfilled life ever, you're probably a happily married Mom!" =) And if you can graciously accept the gift of a lizard from your toddler without screaming, you're a better Mom than me! (See my blog for details!!!)
ReplyDelete