When Gabe's birthday came on a Monday after we had been gone all weekend, I wasn't sure how to make it special. He was studying all day, and since our internet wasn't working, he couldn't stay home because his assignments had to be e mailed that day. I knew that trying to make a knock out meal with a six week old baby in the house would be an exercise in frustration and futility.
My Mom came to the rescue by inviting us over for grilled chicken. Now there was a lovely birthday meal, but I still wanted to bake the annual Italian Cream Cake. I only make it once a year for Gabe's birthday for a reason. It has about 20 ingredients, some of which need separated and whipped and some that need chopped, etc. etc. Also it is baked in three layers and I only have two round pans, so that in itself is a long process of about an hour.
I kept some sanity in the cake baking by limiting the amount of children that could help in each step. Alex poured ingredients into the mixing bowl while Greg, mollified by the promise of helping with the icing, played in the back yard. Olivia and Margarite conveniently took naps.
Somewhere along the line, I got the brilliant idea to make black raspberry ice cream to complement the cake. It seemed like a nice thing to do, considering I had not managed to even buy a special card for Gabe. This would really show him my love. The only problem was that I had run out of time to cook the base so I looked for a recipe you didn't have to cook. Ahh, I found the one that came with the ice cream freezer. That should work for sure.
- Cook down the raspberries.
- Drain.
- Scald milk.
- Sugar.
- Cream.
- Raspberry sauce.
So nice and easy. I made a run to Osterburg for ice. The thought occured to me that it would be cheaper just to buy ice cream, but no, this needs to be special.
Alex and I felt very pleased with ourselves as we opened the freezer to check on our ice cream. It was a beautiful purple. We did a taste test. Wait a minute. What is this? It can't be. Surely it isn't. Yup, it is butter. I didn't know it was possible, but we did it. We made butter in an ice cream freezer, and for the life of me, I can't figure out how.
The children got a bit suspicious when I told them they can have an ice cream party right then, in the middle of the afternoon. Greg and Olivia innocently ate it down, but Alex didn't think it was good. Oh well, the cake was fabulous.

ha
ReplyDeleteI woulda ate the butter. But I'm sure the cake was better. And your story was best of all. =)
ReplyDelete