Thursday, February 19, 2009

Homespun Fun


There's a shelter for the homeless in our living room today.
It is furnished with stacks of books, and stuffed toys.
They must be literate animal lovers, these squatters.



Meanwhile, in the backyard, they have constructed a curious craft.
This is not a trike, but a boat motor,with seat for the rower behind,
All floating on a section of old wooden railing.


There are days when I ask myself seriously whether it is worth letting them make these colossal messes.We have a grand reckoning every evening before Gabe gets home, cleaning up the rubble in the house so he can get inside the door. Almost daily, I remind the boys that they will need to clean up whatever project they embark upon. It never seems to deter them, so I figure they are getting in their practice as inventors of strange and wonderful things. And I get used to finding my laundry baskets conscripted into cupola duty.


No comments:

Post a Comment